Please Wait...

Insurance Requirements for Contractors

Insured – The name of the insured must match the name of the company on your application/license/registration EXACTLY. The name of the insured must include any and all trade names.

Certificate Holder – The certificate holder must be Pikes Peak Regional Building Department, 2880 International Circle, Colorado Springs, CO 80910.

Coverage - You must maintain coverage for all work that is possible within your contractor license/registration. For example (but not limited to), if you are able to work on both residential AND commercial properties, insurance coverage for both residential and commercial construction work is required.

Policy Number – A policy number must be listed on the certificate. A certificate that indicates the policy is pending or temporary or a binder will result in the insurance obligation to expire immediately or immediately upon temporary coverage expiration. Once a policy number has been assigned, a new insurance certificate must be provided to the Department.

10-day Cancellation/Reduction Clause – Each policy of insurance shall contain an endorsement to the effect that the insurance carrier shall notify the Department at least ten (10) calendar days in advance of the effective date of any reduction or cancellation of the policy.

Fire Alarm Contractors and Fire Suppression Contractors must have fire alarm and/or fire suppression specified in the description of operations to be either included or not excluded in general liability coverage.

Workers' Compensation – A current certificate of Workers' Compensation in compliance is required if the contractor has any employees. If the business has no employees, a Rejection of Coverage in compliance with the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment Division of Workers' Compensation is required. If you have questions regarding filing or approval of Rejection of Workers' Compensation Coverage contact the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment Division of Workers' Compensation at 303-318-8700 or visit their website for more information

Certificates of Insurance and Rejection of Workers' Compensation Coverage forms may be emailed to, faxed to (719) 327-2951, or a hard copy may be mailed or provided in person.

License Category Each Occurrence/General Aggregate
Building Contractor A 1,000,000/2,000,000
Building Contractor B or C 1,000,000/2,000,000
Building Contractor D
  1. Single Trade
  1. Wrecking Contractor A
  1. Wrecking Contractor B
  1. Moving Contractor
  1. Sign Contractor A
  1. Sign Contractor B
  1. - 11. Fire-suppression Contractor
Building Contractor E or F 1,000,000/2,000,000
Electrical, Fire Alarm, Mechanical, Plumbing & Water Conditioning Contractors 1,000,000/2,000,000