Work Exempt From Permits
View Official Building Code
Per section 105.2 of the Pikes Peak Regional Building Code
- One-story, detached accessory structures, as defined in the International Residential Code, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2) and is supported directly on grade.
- One-story, detached buildings used for weather protection, storage, or similar commercial uses, provided that the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11 m2) and is supported directly on grade
- Fences not more than 7 feet (2,134 mm) in height.
- Oil derricks, flagpoles and private antennas.
- Retaining walls not more than 4 feet (1,219 mm) in height measured from the lower grade to the upper grade, unless supporting a surcharge from a structure or a grade slope greater than two (2) units horizontal to one (1) vertical or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed two (2) to one (1).
- Water tanks under the direct control of a utility purveyor located completely below grade with a capacity that does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,927 L) and any equipment accessory to the tank.
- Private sidewalks, driveways, and platforms supported directly upon grade.
- Detached decks in conjunction with one- and two-family dwellings not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point within 36 inches (914 mm) of the deck perimeter and do not serve the required egress door.
- Replacement of any doors, windows, or fixed glazing, unless the rough opening dimensions are modified. Replacement of any window required as an emergency escape and rescue opening and safety glazing required due to a hazardous location must comply with the applicable provisions of the Building Code.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets, and scenery.
- Above ground swimming pools accessory to one- and two-family dwellings and R-3 occupancies less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep and not more than 5,000 gallons (18,927 L).
- Repairs to roofing and/or siding when the repair constitutes less than 100 square feet (9.29 m2).
- Detached or attached shade cloth structures with fabric area not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in conjunction one- and two-family dwellings.
- Swings and other playground equipment.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1,372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of one- and two-family dwellings and accessory structures.
- Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters, and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1,752 mm) in height.
- Hydraulic flood-control structures.
- Pedestrian and vehicular bridges not directly serving or constructed as part of a building or structure.
- Where approved by El Paso County, agricultural buildings and agricultural structures located in unincorporated El Paso County, as defined in the El Paso County Land Development Code.
- Where approved by El Paso County, nonpublic, non-residential buildings located in the A-35 District in unincorporated El Paso County, as defined in the El Paso County Land Development Code.
- Temporary freestanding signs, limited to one (1) per year, not more than 7 feet (2,134 mm) in height and not more than 32 square feet (2.97 m2) in area.
See Appendix C of this Code for additional
modifications to this Section by the Board
of County Commissioners of El Paso
See Appendix J of this Code for additional
modifications to this Section by the City of
Woodland Park, Colorado.
Still not sure if your project requires a permit? Click Here to contact us.