Please Wait...

Frequently Asked Questions

I don't have any projects to do right now. Can I put my license on hold without having to retest and pay my license fee?

If you are not performing any construction consulting or construction work that requires a permit and you wish to put your license or registration on hold, then you may request a "voluntary suspension" of license(s) or registration(s) with the Licensing Department. The suspension shall not exceed a period of twelve (12) months unless a notarized annual certification is furnished to the Department indicating that the contractor is engaged in an active capacity in the field of building construction. While under voluntary suspension, the contractor need not carry insurance, but the contractor must continue to pay all license or registration fees normally due. Further, review Section RBC201.11.5 of the Code. To reinstate your license, you must apply to the Licensing Department in compliance with the requirements of Section RBC201.1.5.3 of the Code.

If you do not obtain a ‘voluntary suspension' or you let your license or registration expire for longer than six (6) months or if your insurance has lapsed, been cancelled, or reduced for longer than twelve (12) months, then your license or registration will be administratively revoked.

Who can renew the contractor's license/registration?

Only the currently licensed/registered examinee is able to renew the contractor's license/registration. Renewals may be done online using the contractor web account or using the paper/electronic renewal form. If using the paper renewal form, the form MUST be notarized if the examinee is not signing the form in front of Department staff. Once notarized, forms may be e-mailed, faxed, mailed, or delivered to our office.

Do I need a license to be a handyman?

It depends on the type of work you do. Please call the permit counter at 719-327-2883 to verify if a permit is required.

See Section RBC105.2/Work Exempt from Permits of the Code; i.e., cosmetic work that does not require a permit or license includes, for example: painting, tiling, flooring (as long as subfloor is not replaced), cabinetry, dry wall replacement like-for-like, fixture replacement, roof or siding under 100 sf, window replacement like-for-like, gutters, fencing under 7-ft tall, landscaping, and masonry.

A handyman who wishes to perform work beyond the listed cosmetic work can obtain a Contractor E (Maintenance & Remodeling) license. This license allows the contractor to install, repair or replace decks, patio covers, pergolas, detached sheds, detached garages, detached workshops, basement finishes, and interior NONSTRUCTURAL remodels.

How long does it take to get a license issued?

The entire licensing/registration process takes approximately 6-8 weeks, depending on the date of submittal. Completion of required name-based judicial record check may take longer. You must have all the requirements met three (3) weeks prior to the Licensing Committee date. The Licensing Committee meets every 2nd Thursday of the month. State of Colorado licensees must register immediately with the Department (Electrical, Plumbing, Manufactured Building Installer) when all requirements have been met. You can find the contractor registration applications on the Downloads, Forms & Handouts page. Contractor Registration Applications

I have a license in another jurisdiction, do you reciprocate that license?

No. The Department does not reciprocate any licenses from other building departments. Each outside jurisdiction has its own licensing requirements and may not be comparable to ours.

Is there a way to speed up the licensing/registration process?

No. The Code requires license/registration requests to be published in a local newspaper at least two (2) weeks prior to consideration by the Board of Review, and the Department has a number of steps to take prior to issuing a license/registration.

What does the $50 application fee cover?

The application fee is a $50, nonrefundable fee that includes the following: application processing and name-based judicial record check.

Do I need to turn in original documents?

No, all documents may be faxed to 719-327-2951, emailed to, mailed to 2880 International Circle, Colorado Springs CO 80910, or dropped off in person in our office. If notarization is required, be sure that the notary information and seal are visible.

I have already taken a building department test for another jurisdiction. Do I still have to test again?

The Department accepts ICC National Standardized or ICC Colorado Standard exams 2012 or later. No out-of-state exams will be accepted.

Please see the ICC Testing page for a list of accepted tests.

Do I have to come into the Licensing Committee meeting to request my license/registration?

Once your file is complete, staff will review the contents to determine if further information is needed to evaluate your qualifications, knowledge, and experience. Some license/registration requests are placed on the consent calendar and an appearance at the Licensing Committee is not required. Other license/registration requests will require an appearance before the Licensing Committee. If your appearance is required, staff will call you to notify you. Notwithstanding, please understand that during the committee meeting a consent item may be removed from the consent agenda, therefore requiring an appearance.

What are the requirements for insurance?

See Insurance Requirements

Required minimum insurance levels are listed in Section RBC201.7 of the Code. A certificate of insurance for liability is required for all contractors performing construction consulting or construction work covered by the Pikes Peak Regional Building Code within the jurisdiction of the Department. A certificate of insurance for worker's compensation is also required if the contractor has any employees and is not exempt from the Colorado State Statute requirements. If the contractor is exempt, the contractor must provide documentation from the State of Colorado. When providing certificates of insurance, "Pikes Peak Regional Building Department" is required to be listed as the certificate holder. The Department does not need to be listed as an additional insured. Certificates of insurance may be e-mailed, faxed, mailed, or hand delivered by either the insurance agency or the contractor.

Your contractor business name designated on your insurance certificate and in your license application must match the Colorado Secretary of State records EXACTLY. If you are contracting for work under tradename(s), the tradename(s) must also be included on your insurance certificate and in your contractor license (or registration) application.